What is Space City Con's Masquerade?
Sponsored by Space Cadets Collection Collection, The Masquerade is our costume competition, showcasing costumes inspired by movies, comic books, TV, fantasy, animation, video games, and the imagination of their creators. This is not a dance or party, but a show on a stage. It is free to participate or to be in the audience. Most contestants provide recorded music or prerecorded dialogue to enhance their entries. Some entries will be individuals and some will be groups with a shared theme. Impressive Space City Con customized award medallions, as well as monetary and other company-sponsored prizes will be awarded in various categories.
When and Where:6:30 pm Saturday August 3th on the main stage. The event will run 2 and a half hours. After 5pm, if you have not checked in, your spot will be made available to other entries.
How to enter:Email the Masquerade Coordinator, Jen King, at email@example.com
To enter your costume or costume group into the show. All costumes need to be tasteful with no nudity, as we will have all ages in the audience. You will need to check in at the Masquerade table at the convention before 5pm on Saturday, Janurary 4th to hold your spot in the show.
Winners of the Convention prize categories will receive a quality medallion with the year and category won engraved on it. There will be two medallions provided to group entries winning those categories. Winner of Best in Show will receive an engraved crystal trophy.
More to be announced as we approach the Convention...you may also contact Masquerade Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to add to sponsorships!
The prizes:A panel of guest judges will select winners in these categories: Best in Show, Judges Choice, Best Re-creation, Best Original Design, Best Workmanship, Most Humorous, Most Beautiful and Best Young Person Entry (8 is the youngest we allow on stage)
Company & Organization Awards:
Space Cadets Collection Collection: to the best SciFi themed costume, $100 in booth credit (in Dealer Room)
Walt Jurek Photography: winner of "Most Photogenic" category will win:
- 30 minute photoshoot ($400 value) at the Space City Con immediately after masquerade.
- Winner will receive the photos from the session on DVD with unlimited usage rights.
Evil Pastries Favorite:
The winner will receive a $100 value prize package from Evil Pastry Studios which could include exclusive prints, shirts, posters, and more from Evil Pastry Studios!
Rules of the Masquerade:
- Costumes must be of original construction, or show significant modification of pre-existing materials.
- Maximum time on stage: 1-2 people:1 minute 15 seconds. 3-6 people: 2 minutes 7 pr more: 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- No liquids, messy substances, or anything that may pose a danger are allowed on stage. Unsheathing of bladed weapons must be cleared with the coordinator. No throwing of things into the audience. Nothing is allowed that would get a movie "R" rating--including level of clothing, removing clothing, vocals, language, or behavior on stage. Violating these rules will disqualify you. Minors may not perform combat routines on stage.
- A young person entry is defined as an entry where the contestants are ages 8 - 14 years old.
- Contestants must show up in the backstage area no later than 5:30, and allow video recording and photography of their costumes for non-profit purposes.
- The Coordinator can reject an entry on the basis of inappropriateness, unsafe behavior, too many purchased items, because the construction materials or techniques used do not meet the criteria of the show, or because the event has reached its limit for entries.
- For safety reasons , entries under the age of 8 are not allowed. A young person entry must have a parent or guardian present with them backstage and will be asked to sign a permission form.
- All dialogue and/or sound effects and music must be pre-recorded onto a CD. There will be no microphones on stage and no speaking allowed from stage. Test your recording on regular Cd players before you bring it, please. Masquerade Coordinator will provide music if your entry has none. If you intend for Masquerade Coordinator to provide music for your act, please give them ample time before the show.
- All of our Masquerade staff are volunteers, and we donate our time to the show because we love costuming just as much as you do!
- Every contestant who wants to compete for awards must be seen by the judges during pre-judging. You may sign up for a time slot at the Masquerade Table. Contestants that do not sign up for pre-judging or fail to turn in paperwork one hour before the Masquerade will not be eligible for prizes.